skip navigation

Hampden-Sydney Soccer Wins 4-0 Over Randolph-Macon On Family Weekend

Hampden-Sydney Soccer Wins 4-0 Over Randolph-Macon On Family Weekend

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – In a game with over 600 fans, the Hampden-Sydney Soccer team earned a 4-0 shutout over Randolph-Macon on Family Weekend. Senior Spell Carr/Clinton, N.C. fired a header past the Yellow Jackets keeper in the 26th minute off a pass from fellow senior Sean McMurray/Apex, N.C. to give the Tigers all the offense it would need. The Tigers improved to 5-5 on the season and 1-0 in the ODAC while Randolph-Macon falls to 4-4 and 0-1 in the conference.

Prior to the game, the team celebrated and honored the 50 years of Hampden-Sydney Soccer. On hand was the program's first head coach Jim Simms who started the program in 1969.

The Tigers looked to be aggressive in the first minutes of the game but were called for offsides two times in the first nine minutes. Freshman Boyce Purdie/Clinton, N.C. took the Tigers first shot of the game early in the 12th minute and was followed up by Carr's first shot in the 13th.

The Yellow Jackets would take their first shot in the 19th minute but senior keeper Ian Connor/Midlothian made his first save of the game.

After a Yellow Jacket foul, Murray shot a free kick in front of the goal with Carr leaping up and getting the head by the Randolph-Macon keeper to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead in the first half. Both teams played some strong defense for the remaining 20 minutes of the half with the home team leading 1-0 at the break.

Carr would score his second goal of the game just six minutes later off a free kick that was on target, passed the outstretched arms of the keeper.

The Yellow Jackets had an opportunity to get on the board with a penalty kick at the 62:41 mark, but the ball hit off the post to preserve the shutout. Just six minutes later, senior Josh McCormack/Stafford fired a shot from 35 Yards in front of the goal past all the defenders to score his first goal of the season.

Not wanting to take the foot off the pedal, senior Niko Reinson/Farmville fired a long pass down the middle of the field that senior Jacob Mann/Mebane, N.C. took two dribbles and shot the ball over the outstretched hands of the keeper with just 23 seconds left in the game.

Connor picked up his fourth win in a row and now has two shutouts on the season. He made three saves in the victory.

The Tigers outshot the Yellow Jackets 10-7, including a 7-3 margin in shots on goal.

H-SC returns to Hellmuth-Gibson Field on Wednesday, October 2 when it hosts Shenandoah University. Despite both teams being members of the ODAC, the match will not count in conference standings. The Hornets dropped a 4-1 decision to Randolph College on Saturday evening.