skip navigation

Hampden-Sydney Soccer Shuts Out Marymount, 1-0.

Hampden-Sydney Soccer Shuts Out Marymount, 1-0.

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney soccer team shutout Marymount on Saturday evening with a 1-0 win over the Saints. Senior Jacob Mann/Mebane, N.C. scored his third goal in two game early in the second half to put the Tigers up 1-0 before H-SC was able to hold off Marymount to secure their second-straight win. The Tigers improve to 3-5 overall while the Saints fell to 4-5.

Mann took a pass from fellow senior Spell Carr/Clinton, N.C. from 10-yards in front of the box and was able to find the back of the net.

The Tigers looked to take it to the Saints early with three shots including one on goal in the first 10 minutes of the game. It was in the 27th minute that saw H-SC take four corner kicks all within a minute and half of each other.

Hampden-Sydney took eight shots in the first half while allowing the Saints just one, a save by senior keeper Ian Connor/Midlothian. The Tigers did not allow Marymount a single corner in the first half while taking five of their own.

The Saints made several substitutions to start the second half, starting several players who had not seen action during the first half. After a Tigers corner just three minutes into the second frame, Marymount was called for their first offsides of the contest. The Tigers were able to push the ball up field with senior Eli Strong/Windermere, Fla. taking a shot that was just high over the crossbar. A Saint got their hands to help tip it slightly which gave the Tigers another corner kick.

After a shot set of passes, Marymount was called for the foul. Carr took the free kick and found Mann 10-yards in front of the Saints keeper. Mann's shot was hard passed a diving Saints goalie to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead.

The Saints took just their second shot of the game in the 82nd minute but the ball sailed high above the crossbar.

Carr looked to add to the lead with just over five minutes left in the game, but the Saints made a save.

The Tigers outshot the Saints 15-2 while also having the lead in corners, 9-2. Marymount made six saves with Connor earning his first shutout of the season making one save.

H-SC travels to Guilford on Wednesday, September 25. The contest with the Quakers will not count in conference standings despite the teams both being in the ODAC. Guilford has lost three in a row including a 3-0 setback in the last game to Sewanee on Saturday afternoon.